Monday, July 18, 2011

Star of Davida Essay Contest!

As a financially needy student who wants to go to a really great college, I’ve been obsessively looking for essay contests to win so I can build up my résumé and get some money for that hungry college fund. As a feminist, I’ve tried to find essays relating to feminism, but I haven’t been so lucky. I actually found an essay contest whose title was “Why is Abstinence Before Marriage the Best Choice for Teens Today?” Needless to say, it made me gag, but it didn’t stop me from writing the most pathetic essay I’ve ever written and submitting it. (I won honorable mention. Go figure.)

It really bothers me that I have never stumbled upon an essay contest even remotely related to feminism. Yeah, sure, there are a few competitions that are out there that reward girls who have made an impact in their communities, but none about topics pertaining to the actual women’s rights movement. When I Googled “pro-choice essay contest,” the only hits I got were a bunch of articles about pro-life essay contests. No joke.

So that’s where I come in. I’m sick and tired of the lack of feminist essay contests out there, so I’m making my own for all of you young feminists out there who want to write about their passion, and maybe get a reward while you’re at it! This essay contest is also to celebrate Star of Davida’s first birthday. It’s hard for me to believe, but I’ve been blogging for a whole year at this point.

Description: Answer the question “How has feminism changed your life?” Has feminism helped you get through a rough time, accept yourself for who you are, changed how you live your life, your aspirations, etc. etc. Go crazy. As long as it’s between 250 - 750 words.

How to Enter: Send your essay as a doc, docx, or PDF file to starofdavida@gmail.com. If there’s a technical issue with your entry, I’ll be in touch - don’t worry. In the subject line, please write “Essay Contest” or something to that effect. On the top of the first page, include your full name, age, and email address.

Deadline: October 10, 2011

Eligibility: If you’re a feminist, and you’re a student (ranging anywhere between preschool and a PhD program), then you can enter.

Awards: The top three winners will each win a copy of Care Bears on Fire’s newest album, Girls Like it Loud, as well as getting their essays published on Star of Davida!

Please direct any questions you have to starofdavida@gmail.com. Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment